Monday, February 16, 2009

Traveling to Kenya

First I must say it is a long way to Kenya! The first leg of my journey was an 8 hour overnight flight from Washington, DC to Amsterdam. After a couple hour layover in Amsterdam, another 8 hour flight to Nairobi. We flew KLM, which has very nice planes and wonderful service, but it was still a long time to be sitting!

I arrived in Kenya on Sunday night, after dark, so I could not see much of Nairobi as we were driven to the Lutheran Heritage Foundation Guesthouse, where we spent Sunday night. Mollie (our host and caretaker there) had a meal all ready when we arrived (about 11 pm!) which was most welcomed and delicious. After some conversation, drinks, and decompression, we turned in for a couple hours of sleep. (Under mosquito nets, of course!)


We awoke and left before dawn to return to the Nairobi airport and fly west across Kenya to the city of Kisumu - the third largest city in Kenya, on Lake Victoria. It was only a 30 minute flight, but got some nice views of Africa for the first time.




Kenya is much more mountainous than I expected. Nairobi is like Denver - a mile high city. In fact, the entire western part of the country is like that, which was nice as it kept the temperatures not too hot during the day, and even cool at night.

The time change from Washington, DC to Kenya is +8 hours - meaning that 8 am at home was 4 pm in Kenya. I really did not have too much trouble adjusting to this change in Kenya - maybe it was the excitement and adrenaline of being there. I have had a much more difficult time adjusting back home. Slowly but surely, I am getting used to it though.

Tomorrow: Arriving at the seminary.

2 comments:

  1. It usually takes me longer to adjust flying home from Kuwait (or Lebanon) than it does to adjust coming back. There's something about flying that direction that really messes with me.

    When we were home in December it took us a few days to adjust. But the day after we returned I headed back to school. I did fine. I was very tired when I got home, but much better by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thursday's Child! I know you! ;)
    Pastor, Thanks for the posts! This is great! ;)

    ReplyDelete